Wednesday, July 10, 2013

WHAT CAN GO WRONG? OR MY FIRST LIVE TV INTERVIEW

http://www.wcax.com/category/166239/video-landing-page?clipId=9076554&autostart=true


Today, in my first live t.v. interview, I learned what happens when it's just you and an interviewer with about 2 minutes to describe two books and you know the interviewer isn’t listening to a word you are saying.  My mind went blank and the last two sentences of what I wanted to say were lost and the whole thing went down hill.  There’s about 20 to 30 seconds that are really uncomfortable.  Feel free to cringe, but I did recover and I was at least coherent if not concise.

Lesson learned:  get your sound bites lined up.  Less is better.  Relax and smile.  I really wasn’t nervous until my mind went blank.  And I think my mind went blank when I realized from the look on the interviewer’s face that he wasn’t listening to a thing I said.  It's like talking in a vacuum and suddenly you panic.  You're throat tightens up, your mouth goes dry and there's nothing you can do.  Like an actor forgetting a line.   Remember that scene in Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 4, when Larry is in The Producers and forgets his line and the whole production comes to a halt?  Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but it felt that way.

 It was just one of those things about a super short form interview you have to experience to get a handle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment